Your property tax due July 5 is based on your January 2012 assessment. Are you paying more taxes this year than neighbours with similar properties?
The West Kelowna Residents’ Association has evaluated local assessments by the BC Assessment Authority over the past three years. We conclude that at the neighbourhood level the assessments are often neither consistent nor fair. However, every home owner has the opportunity to compare his/her property with the assessed values of neighbours. This will aid them in determining whether or not their assessments are consistent with those in their own neighbourhood.
As you pay your property taxes, perhaps you may wish to review the assessment information at this time in preparation for a more careful review in January 2013. The District of West Kelowna (DWK) has made this process very convenient. We are listing the steps to allow you to compare assessment values from your home computer. Enjoy the power from information.
- Open the DWK home page
- Click on the icon “Maps” – top right corner
- Click on “Go to Online Mapping System”, allow 1 minute for the G.I.S. system to format
- Type in your address – top right hand corner
- Click on the house image. View details and property lines
- Click View “Additional Details” and then “Assessment Summary”
- To obtain assessment information on neighbours, type in the address (see Step 4)
We encourage new seniors to look carefully at their DWK tax document. Please note that a person who turns 65 in 2012 (born in 1947) is entitled to the “C” column grant which gives an additional reduction of $275. Look for the payment schedule listed in three columns; namely A (no grant), B (basic grant if under 65) and C (65 and over added grant).
West Kelowna Residents’ Association