Kelowna RCMP would like everyone to enjoy their Canada Day long weekend, safely and responsibly.
The Canada Day long weekend is usually the first indicator of the summer holidays, with an influx of tourists and a lot of boaters hitting the wake. The Kelowna RCMP would like to remind all boaters to be safe and responsible, and to respect the rights of everyone else on the lake.
Here are a few tips to keep your weekend safe:
- Conduct pre departure inspection. Ensure you have enough fuel for your trip.
- Ensure you have all your required safety equipment on board, ie Water tight flashlight, bailing bucket, 15m buoyant heaving line. Read the Canada Safe Boating Guide to find out what equipment you require http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/tp-tp511-menu-487.htm
- Conduct a safety briefing with your guests to ensure they know what to do during an emergency.
- Make sure there is a PFD or lifejacket of the appropriate size for everyone on board. WEAR THE PFD OR LIFEJACKET AT ALL TIMES WHILE ON THE WATER.
- Make sure all your navigation lights are working. You could be sent back to shore if they aren’t.
- Do not navigate with your headlight type docking lights on! It is a violation of the Canada Shipping Act Collision Regulations to display these lights while underway. These lights can interfere with the ability of the operator to maintain a proper lookout and can impair the visibility and identification of the vessels navigation lights. It’s like driving a car with the high beams on.
- Operate your boat in a safe and prudent manner – it will be congested.
- Booze and boats don’t mix. If you, as the operator are suspected of consuming alcohol or drugs you can be arrested and charged with Impaired Operation of a vessel.
Some violations Police will be on the lookout for:
- Fail to exhibit side lights (sunset to sunrise )- $150.00
- Fail to exhibit stern light – $150.00
- Exhibit light that impairs visibility – $150.00
- Operate a vessel with safety equipment not in good order – $200
- Operate pleasure craft without of PFD’s or lifejackets for everyone onboard – $200 plus $150 for each missing PFD or lifejacket.
- Careless operation – $350.00
There will be a lot of boats on the water, especially during the fireworks display. There will be a 500m safety zone around the fireworks barge which will be enforced.
Stay safe and have fun!