by Dave Preston
A grass fire sparked by an industrial lawnmower was brought under control by residents Monday.
“I noticed a Bobcat operating behind my house,” said Ryan Killick, who lives on the corner of Shaw Road and Clarence Road.
Killick said he went into his back yard and noticed, about 100 feet from the Bobcat, a fire spreading up a hill.
The Bobcat had a lawn moving attachment on its front end and a contractor was using it to clear an empty lot.
“I went over to the other side of the fire,” said Killick. “I turned on a couple of hoses and attempted to put the flames out.”
Several other neighbours brought out garden hoses from across Clarence Road and others brought shovels to the fire.
By the time the first fire truck arrived, the assembled voluntary crew of resident firefighters had the grass fire under control.
The mower likely ran over a rock and that sent off a spark, according to Assistant Fire Chief James Springer.