by Dave Preston
The Peachland Legion will get some financial assistance from the municipality next year.
Earlier this year the Legion approached council and asked for a tax exemption on its Second Street property.
The district conducted a survey and found that 74 per cent of 23 municipalities gave some form of permissive tax exemption to their Legions.
Peachland council gave approval Tuesday for a property tax exemption for the Legion in the amount of $2,166.
Other organizations and churches will also benefit from tax exemptions, including:
- Peachland United Church;
- St. Margaret’s Anglican Church;
- Peachland Baptist Church;
- Peachland Wellenss Centre;
- Peachland Riding Club;
- Peachland Community Policing Office;
- Peachland Chamber of Commerce;
- Peachland and District Retirement Society;
- Maple Springs Bible Camp;
- The Nature Trust of BC.
In total, the organizations will receive the benefit of $28,893 in tax exemptions, which equates to 0.8 per cent of general tax revenue or about $10.05 per average single family dwelling.